Do you want to lose 7 pounds and 7 inches in 7 days? That’s the kind of article I feel like I should be writing in order to have a popular health and fitness blog, but my heart isn’t in it. Instead, I’m encouraging you celebrate this week leading up to Valentine’s Day with a challenge: Spend 7 days loving your body and focusing on wellness!
We KNOW we should “improve our self-esteem” and think positively about having different body shapes and sizes, but there are still too many of us spending too much time and energy obsessing over what our bodies look like.
We’re always trying to get a little smaller, toned, less this or more that – I’m guilty!
It takes our focus away from the truth, what God says about us, sends our thoughts down the drain, and sucks our time in obsessing over calories and workouts. In this case, we lose our focus: seeking first the kingdom of God.
Praise and gratitude are powerful weapons, able to shift our entire perspective. What if you focused on what is good, and truly believed it?
For today, and the rest of the week, choose to:
- Focus and meditate on the truth.
- Celebrate what is good.
- Care for and nurture your body.
The Word of God has a lot to say about how purposefully we have been created, and how we should honor and take care of our bodies, but never that we are to strive for physical perfection or compare our body to another. To start the week, meditate on these truths. You can read in depth at www.bible.com
- God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
- Your hands made me and fashioned me; Give me understanding, that I may learn Your commandments. Psalm 119:73
- For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:13-14
- Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16
- I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself up for me. Galatians 2:20
Visit the blog every day this week – 7 Days to Love Your Body Challenge!
How often do you praise God for being fearfully and wonderfully made? Are there other scriptures that help you appreciate this truth?