Eggplant Caponata is a delicious and filling vegetarian meal perfect for a Daniel Fast. This dish tastes great hot, cold, or room temperature. It can also be eaten by itself or served with flatbreads.
The recipe below makes a big batch of Eggplant Caponata. If you’re preparing to start a Daniel Fast, this is a great recipe to make in advance so you can eat the leftovers for lunch or another night’s dinner.
The flavors are amazing!
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup green olives, sliced
- 1 TBS capers
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 TBS red wine vinegar
- 3 TBS fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 TBS fresh basil, chopped
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat
- Saute onion, bell pepper, garlic and eggplant until tender, about 10-15 minutes
- Add olives, capers, and red wine vinegar and simmer an additional 10-15 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley, basil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste
- Serve warm, room temperature, or cold
- Can be eaten over pasta, with flatbreads, or by itself